Author Topic: carbies on touring mokes  (Read 932 times)

Dave G

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Dave's Moke
carbies on touring mokes
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Hi Terry & fellow Mokees. I currently run a 45 DCOE webber on my moke which is good for a bit of get up & go but may be not so good for touring. the engine is a 1293 & i have afew options regarding SU,s eg 1.5 inch plus HIF 44. What set up would you recomend as i gues econemy is a must. Cheers Dave/email]
My Moke "Ensign"

Pre10der

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Moke owner since 1998

• Personal Text
    Mokes look better in red.
Re: carbies on touring mokes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »
The MG Metro engines (1275 A+) came std with the HIF44 (1.75") from factory as I understand it and one would assume that economy and reliability were priotirites for a factory vehicle. I run one on my engine and reliability has been great. I'll be honest in saying that I don't really have anything to compare to with regard to fuel economy however and my runs in the Moke are 'spirited' and really too short to determine how good it is on fuel.

I wonder if a 1.5" will be able to feed enough into your larger bores...I guess it'll come down to the needle you put in it.

Ian
1978 Californian | 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes.
Full details on resto at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
By touring you mean long distance, hours / days in the saddle, away from major centres stuff?

The HIF44 is a damn good carbie, but for touring, with the engine for have, you can't go past a HS4. You'll have all the get up and go that is needed and very good fule economy. You'd also get this with the HIF44, but if out, on the road, you get some crap in the fuel bowl, it is a really simple 1 minute job to clear the HS4, where as the HIF44 will need to be take off the manifold and dis-assembled, to some degree, to clear it, so expect it to take about half an hour and be careful not to loose or dislodge the seals.  You'll also be able to pick up a HS4 and all the bits you need easily and cheaply, just be sure that it has the correct needle and spring fitted (again, easily changed if they are not right). Also consider the crankcase breather, as some HS4's have an inlet for this and some don't.

Also, getting a good (even standard) air filter assy for the HS4 is a dime a dozen and very easy to come by, where as the goose necks and filters for the HIF44's are pretty hard to find. You could be tempeted to use a Ramflo, but these are little more than rubbish for filteration, especially in out of the way places. K&N Make a good filter but it does make the engine (drawing air) very noisy and I doubt you'd like to put up with that for more than a few hours.

Don't skimp on the air filter. This is what stands between the engine lasting or costing you thousands to have it rebuilt after the rings and bores have been worn away from sand and dirt. Oh, and don't dismiss the crankcase breather set up as if you get this wrong, it's another place that dirt will enter the engine.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Dave G

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Dave's Moke
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
 :)Yeh thanks Guys for the info. I was thinking along the lines of the HS4 for simplicity & ease of adjustments.
My Moke "Ensign"

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
There is a HS6 carby.  Flows pretty much the same as a HIF44 and fits on the same manifolds but has a side float bowl like a HS4.
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado