Author Topic: Cool Breeze - The Makeover  (Read 26230 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Cool Breeze - The Makeover
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
I have had to keep it under my hat until now for reasons which will become apparent. Needed a bit of help sorting out some teething problems though, so we set up a Secret Moke Business board so that a few people could help me out until the time came that I could go public. There was never any intention of excluding anyone, just a necessary procedure to enable me to spring a surprise on my forum mates Appache and Biggles, so I hope no one takes offense or gets the wrong idea. The SMB boards are set up on the condition posts become public once the 'secret' does.

The big news is that I've bought a Moke 8) 8) 8). Big deal I hear you say- another garden ornament, but no, this one's a little different to my other ones - I can actually drive it on the road  :o :o :o     And not just "Dev Drive" it either. It's all legally and properly registered   8) 8) 8)     

I've only just realised that although I've taken a few detail pics, I haven't got any "normal" shots of it, so for now you can check out the ebay pics here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINI-MOKE-1972-Registered-NSW-/180743304556?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a1523f56c#ht_499wt_1416

This one's not a project Moke! Although there are of course a few little repairs and modifications to be done, I have no intention of pulling it down, or doing anything radical to it - this is going to be a driven as is Moke. The reason for me setting this up is that I arranged with Aimee(Appache) several months ago to go down to her place on the weekend of the 5th/6th November. As she had to cancel the Wollondilly Weekend which was to be that weekend, she suggested that we could get together to discuss next years Round Up and while I'm there do some Moking trips with Smoken - I was to be a passenger. Of course I'm now going to take MY Moke, but thought it would be a nice surprise if they didn't know about it beforehand.

As we're planning on doing a bit of driving though, I want to tidy up a few things and make sure it doesn't embarrass itself on it's first weekend out - that's where you guys come in. Also, I really need to tell someone all about it  :D.

I've sort of been looking out for a registered Moke for a little while now but budget was very low and they really don't come up very often around here. When they do, they're $1000 wrecks or $15,000 good ones, This one was in Singleton which is about 2 hours drive away. I literally saw it after work Monday (about 5.45) went down to see it that night and went back the next day to pick it up - it all happened very fast.

I've been conferring with Terry since I bought it as it was listed on MokeWerx and he knew a bit of background on it. Basically the woman bought it along with a wreck and a pile of bits and pieces to fix up, but all got too hard for her so she spent $12K and bought a good one instead. She's been trying to sell it at $7500 for about 4 or 5 months, but rego's running out and she was getting a bit more negotiable.

I got it for $6K which I'm now really happy with. Finding them registered for that sort of money in NSW where we have annual inspections is not easy. Mind you, by the time I got there Monday night to look at it, it was dark so took it to a car wash to see it under lights, but still not the same as daylight of course. Made the deal, but decided on the way home that when I came back the next day I'd only part with the cash if I didn't find anything too nasty in the cold light of day. Good plan, but by the time I got back there the next afternoon it was absolutely bucketing down and I got drenched just putting it on the trailer (no shed handy to check it out in) so I just said a quick prayer to the Moke gods and hoped for the best.

I'll post this now and continue shortly as I'm starving and need dinner  :).

Newie
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:21:25 PM by Newie »

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: Brace yourselves, Newie has a Moke that goes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »
Well done Newie  ;D  ;D
Your very own going moke ;D yah ho. Don't break it before The Round Up though. I'd hate for you
to organise 2 event without your own moke.

Great idea to surprise Appache and Biggles, I rekon they'll be rapt  8)

Looks like a nice moke, they tray looks good, hope it's strong enough for you're work gear, disc
brakes are a bonus, not sure about what lurks behind the flat side panels though so hope it's
years before you have to find out.

Good luck with it and Keep on Mokin.

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »
Hi,

The disc brakes are a conversion job from the photos I have seen so maybe some can identify them as Camira or something else. And it has adjustable lower arm and tie rod/castor bar.

I like the wheels. :)

The tray hinges and the look of the edges they are little ramps to make sure things falling off get plenty of height when he turns sharply.

Terry

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
So far so good . Gave it a pretty good look over in my shed when I got home and found more good things than bad. Some nice surprises like fully adjustable suspension all round and whoever did the body fabrication work (which is extensive) did a bloody good job as far as I can tell. Better than what I could manage I think. Must have been a Flintstone mobile at one stage of it's life as it has a replacement floor and side panels.  I test drove it in town Monday and it seemed pretty good, but gave it a good blat along the open road when I got it home for 15 min or so and was very pleased. I gets up and goes pretty good for a 998 I think. According to the GPS it sits on 95kph quite happily and will push to about 110 in need.

Basically the idea is  to get something to drive around while I fiddle with the Gnome for the next year or two and give myself a bit of street cred - I really can't face organising another Round Up without a Moke of my own.

Anyway, certainly not one for the purist, but for the budget I had, I'm happier with a good solid reliable "bitzer" Moke than a nice original, temperamental rusty one 

Worst and best part is the side boxes - there aren't any really  . Well no boxes with doors on the sides anyway. Just two pontoons with cutouts for fuel tank, battery and fuel filters. Something will have to be done with these cutouts, but that's another story....... Up side of this is that there's no Bermuda Triangle or hidden little rust areas to worry about. Also it's built very solid.

Nice little tray on the back which has been professionally made, but I will need to put seats in of course to accomodate kids. May keep tray as a touring setup though. It tilts too, so you can store stuff under it.

I've christened  it "Cool Breeze" as two thirds of the money came from some I'd been saving for a new air conditioner for the house as the one I have is very close to stuffed. I actually planned on ordering and paying for the AC the same day I saw the Moke on ebay, but never got around to it - it was fate I tell you  :D. I figure that if I get hot, I'l just have to go for a ride in the Moke  ;D 

One of the few advantages of not being married - can you imagine 99% of women's reactions coming into summer when instead of having an air con by the end of the week, they had a Moke in the shed and and extra $1500 on the Mastercard? 

Plan is to sell my Red '79 Cali for at least enough to pay back the Mastercard, then start saving again for the AC  :-\.

Told the story to a signwriter mate who came around this afternoon with a little Moke warming present  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:17:11 PM by Newie »

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks Moe,

Discs are a bonus for sure - even if they're not original. Brakes aren't great actually, but Terry has suggested I adjust the rears before getting too carried away. Meant to do it this afternoon, but got distracted by the Gnome after Mav guilted me into updating the build thread.

Here's a picture of the discs if anyone recognises them, along with the nice adjustable bits  :)

Next question - should I be concerned about the flex brake hoses. They seem to be rather long.

Newie

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
Such good news Newie 8) ;D ;D ;D
I looked at this moke many times,,,,, I LIKE.... a '72, so rare nowa days.

My friend ( I only have one ;)...... Boydy) reakons his '74 moke is the pride of his fleet ;D
Yep, you guys are on a good ride, RARE, OLD, and have a cool MOKE ;D ;D ;D
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »
Seriously uncomfortable and dodgy seats Cool Breeze came with

"New" old blue denim tombstones borrowed from Red Cali

Think I'm going to need seat covers for Pink Slip - rego due in December

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »
"Terry approved" suspension

Hi Lo's and reasonably good donuts front and rear  :) :) :)

Sorry about the ordinary photos, but I took them in the shed when I got it home the other night in the rain

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
Yep, dodgy looking maybee, but base looks comfy if there is no roof( they sit above pods).
How did it feel when you drove it? I suspect it was excellent.... It is a MOKE after all 8) But was the bum comfy?( I'm not calling you a bum ::)though)
Tombstones are lower, and you seem taller(in your posts anyway ;D) so do seem better?
Halfpint.... Almost as excited as Newie is! So glad you have it :D

Just saw the replies...... whats with problem? 72 to 74 had exports, I dont see the telltail signs obvious to me, so what more detail is there?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
GREAT NEWS NEWIE!!! :o Well done.

It is considered cheating..... but I'll forgive you. ;D

Looks nice and neat, and that tray could be very handy. Unmistakable as the New NuE Moke too!

should I be concerned about the flex brake hoses. They seem to be rather long.

I would be - looking at this photo the tyre looks suspiciously shiney, as though it's been rubbing on the hose.

You may be able to just turn it a bit for now, but if the hose is worn I'd bin it to be safe. While you are in there, try to see what caused the mark on the disc.

Sorry to point these things out, but better safe than sorry with brakes! ;)

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:56 PM »
Seriously not comfy actually and the bases actually fell off when I grabbed them to get under them to undo the bolts. Sort of held on with one screw each in a slot. And yes, I was staring at the top of the windscreen frame.

The tombstones' upholstery are in pretty bad nick, but much more comfy by comparison.

I have several sets of slings too which I may yet restore and put in.

Glad you're as excited as me HP. You and Boydy will have to talk to Terry about joining Vic convoy to Tamworth next year and we'll go for a run  :)

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:13 AM »

I would be - looking at this photo the tyre looks suspiciously shiney, as though it's been rubbing on the hose.

You may be able to just turn it a bit for now, but if the hose is worn I'd bin it to be safe. While you are in there, try to see what caused the mark on the disc.

Sorry to point these things out, but better safe than sorry with brakes! ;)

Cheers, MD.

Don't be sorry MD. That's exactly the reason for this discussion before I take it down the coast.

I'll check it out tomorrow.

It is considered cheating..... but I'll forgive you. ;D

You might forgive me, but I doubt Dev and Martin will when they see this  ;D

Newie

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:21:05 PM by Newie »

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
Don't be sorry MD. That's exactly the reason for this discussion before I take it down the coast.

I'll check it out tomorrow.

You might forgive me, but I doubt Dev and Martin will when they see this  ;D

Newie
Start it again. These guys are Gold. I love the suprise thing....as Im sure they will, SUPRISE, (hope that goes ok)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:24 AM »
The Gnome's still going to continue. Looking at Martin's a few weeks ago, I don't stand a chance of beating him, but if Dev keeps buying Mokes and fiddling around the Gnome may beat him yet  :)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »
The Gnome's still going to continue. Looking at Martin's a few weeks ago, I don't stand a chance of beating him, but if Dev keeps buying Mokes and fiddling around the Gnome may beat him yet  :)

Love your work Newie...........
Night.........
HP