Author Topic: Moke Central and accomodation in Tamworth  (Read 5717 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Moke Central and accomodation in Tamworth
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »
Time to wake everyone up (including the organisers) and remind you all that we have only a little over 6 months to go before the next Moke Round Up in Tamworth.

With the exception of the few organised people out there, it's about time that the rest of you started organising with partners, bosses etc for leave passes so that you don't miss out on the Moke event of the year.

Moke Central will again be at the Austin Tourist Park, New England Hwy Tamworth and I have recently touched base with them to confirm that it's definitely happening and to make sure they're ready for us. They are almost as keen as I am to have everyone back as the last event went so well. They must like us as they are several shots of the Mokes lined up in their Park included among the loop of promotional shots playing on the TV in their office  8)

They have several sections of the park blocked out for us including camp sites  (powered $33 and unpowered $28/couple)  and a range of cabins from basic ones with double bed and bunks with no linen or ensuite from $68/night for a couple, right through to deluxe 3 bedroom  holiday cabins from $147/night, plus many and varied options in between, so there should be something there for everyone. These are the retail rates, but they have promised to look into a group discount if the event is as popular as last time, so look at those prices as a worst case scenario. I stayed in one of their "deluxe" 2 bedroom cabins last time and it was very well appointed I thought. These are $100/night for a couple.

There are many different cabin configurations available, so it would pay to ask a few questions when you book to make sure you get the best one for your situation and budget.

Their website can be found here [size=78%]http://www.austintouristpark.com.au/[/size] but please don't book online as they have areas set aside for us which can only be accessed via phone booking. Phone them on 1800 826 967 and tell them you're with the Moke event.

They cater well to kids with playgrounds and a pool, but also have cabins tucked away a bit for those who want it quieter. They do have a section that allows dogs within reason - must be kept under control etc. [/size]Please note that the dog friendly section is for campers and caravanners only - no provision for dogs if you're staying in the cabins.[/size] Check with them before making firm plans. this section of the park is virtually on the edge of the section we have commandeered, so it would be quite convenient for those who like to travel with their dog/s.
[/size]
[/size]Plenty of room for car trailers too for those who want to tow the Moke.

Of course there is no obligation to stay at the park, but I personally think that it's the best way to get the full experience from the event. If you are staying there, you are in the heart of the action with everyone else. Most attendees stayed there last time and I don't recall hearing anything but praise for the accomodation. They looked after us extremely well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. However, i[/size]f you would really prefer to stay elsewhere, Tamworth is quite a large country town and there are many motels, hotels, B&B's etc available to suit all tastes and budgets (so long as you don't want a view overlooking the beach  ;)  ).

So, for those of you who are already committed to the idea, it would be great if you could start booking so that they start to get some idea of the level of interest. For the rest of you - time to start getting organised  :) .

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

Re: Moke Central and accomodation in Tamworth
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
One other factor to consider before you book. There will be an entry fee to the event, however I doubt that it will be high enough to put anyone off coming. It is necessary to charge to fee mainly to cover Public Liability Insurance on the event, plus a few dollars to cover incidentals.

We haven't seriously discussed this yet, but last time we charged $25/entry and that worked out fairly well. An entry was basically either a Moke and it's occupants or a Mokeless family group who wanted to join in the fun.

I can't guarantee it will be exactly the same this year as we still have to double check our sums, but I can say that it will not be too much different.

Like last time, we are not looking to make any money out of the event. but we certainly don't want it costing us anything either.

We'll work out a firm figure ASAP and put it up in a seperate thread.

Newie

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
Yippee;
 Can't wait! I already have booked the week prior off
and have started on the second moke to tag along with
the Rat. Hopefully it'll be finished .
                       Biggles

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
I must admit, I held my breath when I saw you'd posted Biggles - I hope there are no weddings planned for that weekend  ;)

So, we can book in two Mokes then  :)

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Just a reminder that they are open for bookings at Moke Central aka Austin Tourist Park.

Last time I checked there were half a dozen or so cabins booked which is great to see. At the 2010 event they could only allocate us 9 cabins as it was on a long weekend (also our first event and we had no idea how many people would come). This year, to show how much they loved having us last time, we've organised it on what was an otherwise quiet weekend for them and they've cleared their cabin bookings for us :o 8) 8) 8)

There are 22 cabins in the park and they're all ours  8) . However, before you all get too confident and think there's plenty of time and plenty of accomodation, please remember that "cabin" is a very general term. They have everything from 6 berth 3 bedroom holiday cabins down to single room basic bathroomless cabins, and they are obviously priced accordingly, so whether you're after the budget version or the one for the whole family with all the bells and whistles, or something in the middle, the earlier you book the better chance you have of getting what you want.

Also, we'd appreciate people booking as early as possible as a show of good faith to repay their confidence in us and so that we (the organisers) can gauge how many people are seriously interested.

It would also help them if those of you who are likely to want powered camp or van sites could book as early as possible. They are not too worried about unpowered sites as they have plenty.

Just remember you need to ring up on 1800 826 967[/size] and tell them you are with the Moke group. You won't be able to book online.

Newie

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
I think ours is booked.

Time to wake everyone up

Oh and Newie, please don't ever wake me up. I love my beauty sleep and lets face it, I need every bit I can get.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:29:00 PM by spider »
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
On the To Do list for the morning   Book a powered site
     Smokey

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Just booked my cabin.
Got a simple no ensuite cabin which was $25 less a night.
I figure it will be warm enough to wander across to the toilet
block to shower etc.

Turns out my cabin has a double,single And triple bunk bed.
It's $68/ night and only an additional $12/person per night for
extra bods which I think is reasonable.

Booked in from the Thursday and checking out Monday morning.

Samm

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
Good on you guys. Look forward to seeing you all there.

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
Just got back from a non Moke function that was held at the Austin Caravan Park last night, so naturally had a chat with the owners and got an update on progress with Round Up bookings etc.

They were happy to report that there are already 10 cabins booked out of a possible 22, plus a couple of powered sites. We agreed that this is an excellent response considering we are still 5 months out from the event. They also mentioned that 8 of the bookings are for Thursday night on, so for those who are wondering if it's worth coming over early, it looks like there will be a decent number of Mokes there for the Friday run and a few earlier than that as well. We will be doing more casual runs on the Wednesady and Thursday for the really early folk.

So, plenty of room left yet, but the cabins are steadily going. As mentioned in an earlier post, there are a few different options within the cabin range too, so it's best to book as early as possible to make sure you get what you want at the price you want to pay.

Newie

casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »
Yep, one of those cabins is mine  :) see you there!  ;D

Casper n Penny
1977 Californian

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Excellent  8) 8) 8)

See you there C 'n P  :D

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
sa mokin and mavro are booked for the Fri/Sat/Sun nights - was given assurances if the Cape Mokers arrive before the Friday that she will find a place for us!  Bring it On!   ;)

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Yeh baby yeh.

We are going to Tamworth.
      We are going to Tamworth.
             We are ging to Tamworth.
                    We are going to Tamworth

Mavro

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
Sorry to dissapoint you guy's but we'll hopefully be going
booked a 3 room delux cabin so now just got to decide what moke to take
would be nice to finish Scarlet  ;D

So Mav are you driving the orange terror or trailering it?
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket