Author Topic: Travelling from Melbourne to Tamworth  (Read 7637 times)

CabSav

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Travelling from Melbourne to Tamworth
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Thanks Newie - if not too much trouble - may i request a "from Melb to Tammy" thread to see who else jumps on board? I will keep my eyes on it......ta again
p.s. - put in leave request today!

EDIT: Done .......... Newie  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:55:36 PM by Newie »
Been there.... Done that.... And still out doing it!

the family is growing - Buttercup, Cabsav, Resto & Gifthorse!!!! wow - oh! and Zac's Mini!!!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Tamworth
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
Hi,

I am working on an plan to travel Melbourne to Sydney on as much of the old Hume Hwy as possible and that still exists over a few days and then from Sydney depending on the time we leave and get there etc maybe going north to Tamworth along Thunderbolts way.

Depending on who wants to come along and commitments etc. I am planning on leaving on the weekend prior and getting to Tamworth Wednesday or Thursday.

Terry

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
      We could meet up with you along the way   sounds good Terry travel to Tammy with the Mexicans!
                Smokey

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
      We could meet up with you along the way   sounds good Terry travel to Tammy with the Mexicans!
                Smokey

Maybe we could make your place an overnight stop and sleep out the front with the rest of your family. :)

Terry

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
     Thats ok they are a friendly lot   ;)  most could be a little cold though :D
              Smokey

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
     Thats ok they are a friendly lot   ;)  most could be a little cold though :D
              Smokey

Mate, them's from Melbourne (and surrounds). They'll think it's a heat wave.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
Good to see Terry's planning a more relaxed trip this time.

I seem to remember a troupe of exhausted Mexicans turning up late one night last time. The memories must have faded though as I see Cabby's put her hand up again  :)

Newie

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
   Cabby will keep them on the straight and narrow
               Smokey

CabSav

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Hey newie!Ask Terry why we arrived so late....    Had something to do with a railway track and a trailing arm  :)
I have no probs coming back - and am looking forward to the journey and the company at Tammy.
Might end up having to travel alone though ...........   Just have to find a place to stay on the way, but totally enthused!!   
:)   :)   :)

Been there.... Done that.... And still out doing it!

the family is growing - Buttercup, Cabsav, Resto & Gifthorse!!!! wow - oh! and Zac's Mini!!!

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Faye and I are arriving in Melbourne on the Sunday morning prior. As we are returning from Tamworth via Gloucester and Sydney (for family reasons as we also did last time) we have decided to take 3 days to get from Melbourne to Tamworth.
Sunday is planned to be around Northern Victoria visiting vineyards, Monday maybe to Cowra and then onto Bathurst for the usual few laps.
We therefore suspect we will be in a convoy of one and arrival I think sometime on the Wednesday.
All this is subject to replacement motor being operational.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Hi,

I was looking at the IMD Newcastle map and thinking Raymond Terrace looks like a good place to meet up north of Sydney for anyone wanting to join our Melbourne convoy taking the long way into Tamworth going via Thunderbolts way. From there up to Stroud, Stratford, Gloucester, Walcha and then follow the Oxley to Bendemeer and into Tamworth. Not sure we can get there for Lunch, or maybe a late lunch, but I did this route in reverse last year and it was really nice drive.

I have no firm plans on whether we are going to arrive in Tamworth Wednesday or Thursday so happy to fit in plans with the whoever wants to joins us. I expect from Raymond Terrace to Tamworth is only a day trip and from Melbourne to RT would be about two days or so taking in the sites on the old Hume as much as possible. So two overnight stops on the way up, one about Yass and the other north of Sydney around RT I suppose depending on who we are meeting etc.

Alternatively we could make it an afternoon meet up and stay over at a little property with a Shack on it that I know of near Stroud :) and then roll into Tamworth the next day.

At the moment it is myself, Cujo, Moemoke Clan and possibly Homey leaving Monday or Tuesday.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:03:48 PM by Terry »

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
     No problem providing there isn't a downpour, you might have an extended stay :)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »
Raymond Terrace sounds like a fair plan for people from Newcastle, Central Coast and even Western Sydney to meet up with you Terry. No more than a couple of hours from any of them and a lot closer to most, making it possible for them to meet up with you in the morning if they make an early start. Stroud might be just a little out of reach for an early morning run for some and give some of your joiners an extra night away from home they don't necessarily want.

Raymond Terrace would be a nice spot to spend the night, but you're just around the corner from Woody, so he may have some other suggestions too. Raymond Terrace to Tamworth sould be a relaxed day trip in a Moke by the route you're taking, so long as you don't stop for too long along the way. They are all pretty slow roads, but nothing too drastic as you know, Very scenic country through there  8) .

Of course all days at the Round Up are going to be great, but KMC and I met up last night and made some serious progress on firming up some plans. Thursday is going to be our main dirt road run and will be well worth the effort if you guys can make it. It will be a variation of the run we did on the Thursday last time which Moe attended, so he can fill you in on what he thinks about it.

Newie

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:16:19 AM by Newie »

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
G'day
        When it gets a bit closer and you confirm your plans
we could hang back a day and meet you guys a Yass and
tag along from there.

Biggles

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »
A great drive being coordinated by Terry, unfortunately Faye and I are coming back that way to visit family at Gloucester so will stick to our plans above.
A pretty steep and windy climb up out of Gloucester, much loved by the bike riders however mostly of a week-end.
My only thoughts are that it is the long way for most considering Terry's route when the goal is to get to Tamworth and enjoy the Roundup.