Author Topic: Travelling from Melbourne to Tamworth  (Read 7673 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Tamworth
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Damn that's going to be one long Mokin' day for those that start at Nowra  :-\

I know I was one of the ones saying the Wollombi Rd would be better, and your route from Windsor to Wollombi along the Hawkesbury is certainly a beautiful drive Samm (I did most of it quite recently in a BV) but as you're starting in Windsor anyway, the Putty Rd would have to knock at least an hour off it. It's a lot more open road than that stretch along the Hawkesbury. I must admit, when I was talking about the Wollombi Rd earlier in the peace I was thinking of people leaving from Sydney. Nowra adds that extra couple of hours which will be a long couple of hours at the tail end of the trip. The NE Hwy stretch from Singleton to Tamworth will be the most boring part of the journey between here and Sydney which ever way you come I'm afraid  :(

Will also depend on who else (if anyone) has stuck their hand up to join in from the Hunter. As Samm and Ainsley look like meeting up around Windsor,it shouldn't make a lot of difference to them which route you take.

Decisions, decisions ....................... scenic road, or just get the hell to Tamworth? Maybe depends on the travel weariness of the Melbourne crew by the time they get to Nowra?

Newie

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
Damn that's going to be one long Mokin' day for those that start at Nowra  :-\

I know I was one of the ones saying the Wollombi Rd would be better, and your route from Windsor to Wollombi along the Hawkesbury is certainly a beautiful drive Samm (I did most of it quite recently in a BV) but as you're starting in Windsor anyway, the Putty Rd would have to knock at least an hour off it. It's a lot more open road than that stretch along the Hawkesbury. I must admit, when I was talking about the Wollombi Rd earlier in the peace I was thinking of people leaving from Sydney. Nowra adds that extra couple of hours which will be a long couple of hours at the tail end of the trip. The NE Hwy stretch from Singleton to Tamworth will be the most boring part of the journey between here and Sydney which ever way you come I'm afraid  :(

Will also depend on who else (if anyone) has stuck their hand up to join in from the Hunter. As Samm and Ainsley look like meeting up around Windsor,it shouldn't make a lot of difference to them which route you take.

Decisions, decisions ....................... scenic road, or just get the hell to Tamworth? Maybe depends on the travel weariness of the Melbourne crew by the time they get to Nowra?

Newie

I only included Wollombi Road due to previous discussions and Terry had mentioned it.

Putty Rd is still a nice drive and although Google Maps says its only 15 minutes quicker considering the road i think it will save an hour or so easy.

I'm keen to get from A-B with a bit of scenery but id prefer less time on the black top if we could.

Thanks for the suggestion Newie.

Here is the alternative via Putty Road for those playing at home
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Nowra,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Bringelly+to:The+Northern+Rd%2FMetroad+9+to:Macquarie+St%2FMetroad+9+to:-33.41227,150.94576+to:-33.1945984,150.6872905+to:Singleton,+New+South+Wales+to:Tamworth,+NSW+to:581+Armidale+Road,+East+Tamworth,+New+South+Wales&hl=en&sll=-33.192731,150.699463&sspn=2.459279,5.410767&geocode=Ff7a6_0dnAT6CCk3IQCwA4AUazEg5TIWaH0BBQ%3BFbYc-v0dlvz7CCl5FrRP3vISazFArjIWaH0BBQ%3BFVp5_f0dXt_7CA%3BFU4t__0dtFT9CA%3BFVIrAv4d4D__CCmdW63jHWoNazEqcqfUbM2Lgw%3BFZp9Bf4dOk77CCkdVNwpfwsNazF2slW5kX_OqQ%3BFXUSD_4dy54CCSnZQWCp-68MazEgikOQtAkGBA%3BFTWMJf4d-v3-CClZuYUsppkKazEQxEOQtAkGBA%3BFXE6Jf4d6Xf_CCkZvIlac6IKazHemhB8tZ0ISw&mra=dvme&mrsp=5&sz=8&via=4,5&t=m&z=8

Samm

TD0077

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
Hi all
 Will have to miss this weekend Matchbox twenty concert on in the vineyards, all bus drivers required sorry.
 can offer help and some rest for those who need a break, we are at Abermain about 25 mins toward Maitland from wollombi, have trailer, can pick up any serious breakdowns in the area, good luck hope no-one needs my help.
 Terry and pauline
td

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Yes Putty Rd was mentioned earlier and as I said, I was one of the ones to recommend Wollombi instead of it  :-[. The Putty is sufficiently scenic and steep windy at either end to keep it interesting for Mokers. Just remember there is virtually nothing for about 150km between Wilberforce and Bulga, so make sure everyone's fueled up, fed and any known issues sorted out before you leave Sydney.

Putty road is still 200% nicer drive than the freeway, and if you leave from Windsor, it's probably actually quicker.

Sorry if I've unnecessarily confused the issue  :-\

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
Hi all
 Will have to miss this weekend Matchbox twenty concert on in the vineyards, all bus drivers required sorry.
 can offer help and some rest for those who need a break, we are at Abermain about 25 mins toward Maitland from wollombi, have trailer, can pick up any serious breakdowns in the area, good luck hope no-one needs my help.
 Terry and pauline

Sorry to see you two won't make it  :(

Did you end up getting Pauline's little wheeler on the road yet?

Newie

TD0077

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
 not on the road yet got to work out a rear seat will discuss it later, better to leave this thread for the travellers.
 Terry
td

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
Hi,

thanks for the efforts on the Maps, but was wondering if we can save some time by going Wiseman Ferry through St Albans and up that way as it appears to be fairly flat an more direct north route.?

We are all in Camp Biggles tonight at Nowra.

Terry

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
It's reasonably flat all right (a lot of it's floodplain) but VERY wiggly  :)

I actually went along the Settlers Rd to Wisemans Ferry via St Albans (travelling the other way) when I went down to the Vineyard run earlier in the year. 35km of dirt which google maps estimates takes 1 1/2 hours gives you some clue. Certainly didn't take me that long though, but a windy, sandy, potholed road when I went through nonetheless.

I found it interesting from a historical perspective too as I think it's about as close as you get these days to the original convict built main north road out of Sydney built in the early 1800's.

All of that aside, whether it saves you time or not would depend on how quickly your convoy is prepared to travel over a fairly average dirt road.

Definitely another interesting drive though, and one that most people (even the Sydneysiders) wouldn't normally take.  :)

Newie

PS. Think of me as you go through Paynes Crossing north of Wollombi. It was named for my Great, great, great grandfather who had the first pub there in the 1840's (still there if you know where to look) :)

CabSav

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
Yes Samm. We're just THAT good  ;)
But I was in the lead for a fair bit of the day!  :D
Been there.... Done that.... And still out doing it!

the family is growing - Buttercup, Cabsav, Resto & Gifthorse!!!! wow - oh! and Zac's Mini!!!

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
I think Putty Rd is probably the best option if we want to avoid the highway.

Would it be unrealistic considering you guys have a ?rest day tomorrow to get away a touch earlier on Tuesday?

It's all getting exciting.

Samm

P.S can't wait to see y'all and the rat.
P.SS does anyone coming have a gunson colour tune?

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »
           Sam i hope to meet up with the rest of you in singleton somewhere   and will make final arrangements when you work out things with the southerners
                        Smokey

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
           Sam i hope to meet up with the rest of you in singleton somewhere   and will make final arrangements when you work out things with the southerners
                        Smokey

Good one Sh-mokey.
How much notice do you need prior to our arrival?
There just aren't a lot of landmarks between leaving Wlberforce and getting to Singleton is all.

Ill ring the crew at Biggles place soon to hopefully work it all out.

Samm

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
If you could let me know when you are leaving Wilberforce and ETA at Singleton would be good I probably need an hour and half or so to get from here  to Singleton

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
G'day Samm,
               I'll chuck the colour tune in for you.

Biggles