Author Topic: posting  (Read 2385 times)

justmokeing

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Love to Moke
posting
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »
Hi all having a problem with posting in my thread.
Just done a update  then went to my gallery so i could post pics up went back to my thread as i normally do
but everything disappared so then i just tryed the photos but they disappared as well.
is it because i have noty used my thread in a long time.
Jm

Regards JM

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Re: posting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »
Hi JM,

It shouldn't matter how old your thread is - you will get a warning if it is over 120 days since the last post, but you can still reply normally.

Your photos show in the gallery for me. Did you have two windows or tabs open? If you click the gallery while replying, you will lose your post and can't go back. The only way is to have the gallery open in one tab or page, and your reply in another.

I have also noticed if you try to edit or add to your post in the preview window it will dump the lot! A mistake I have made more than once! :-[

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »
While we are resolving PC / Software issues, not sure if MD or Terry or someone else can help.

I am using Firefox and have been for a while now. Not saying it's the best or anything like that, it's just what I use.

About a month or two ago, I found - only on the site - that the spell checker and the usually drop down box you get when you right click, that has the Paste function (and spell) just isn't there. It works OK on other sites, just not this one.

Any leads? I know jack about PCs / software and all that stuff.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
Ditto to Spider's comments:

I am using Firefox and have been for a while now. Not saying it's the best or anything like that, it's just what I use.

About a month or two ago, I found - only on the site - that the spell checker and the usually drop down box you get when you right click, that has the Paste function (and spell) just isn't there. It works OK on other sites, just not this one.

I'm glad you raised this Spider as I was wondering what was going on. I personally much prefer Firefox and have used it for ages.... I was caught out when I went to use the Paste function and it didn't work all of a sudden. I got around it as I'm sure Spider did by using Ctrl+V. Can it be rectified?

Mazy

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
I have a different problem, sometimes when I'm editing a message the font size of part of the text drops to 78% and [size=78%]I have to click the remove formatting button to get it back to normal.[/size]

I can make it do it by inserting a couple of carriage returns then deleting them again.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
Now thats interesting, in the editing window it makes the font smaller and I can't see the font sizing markup, but in the posting window its normal size and the markup is showing.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Weird stuff happens in Safari too - the avatars get chopped up a little and some functionality goes missing ...    :o

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
What? there is a spell checker? where is it?
Nicko

• Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »
What? there is a spell checker? where is it?
Nicko

Yeh I need dat...

mavro

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
I got around it as I'm sure Spider did by using Ctrl+V. Can it be rectified?

Mazy

Your way more clever than me! I must try that. I've going Edit, then Paste.

Backward Spider
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
Have you tried the right click cutting and pasting lately Spider? I had the same problem a month or so back, but it rectified itself after a week or two.

I also have the 78% resizing issue Tim's talking about - and no, it doesn't show up in the dialogue box, so only way to delete it is to delete a few characters before it and take the resize code out with everything else. I've been trying to narrow down when it happens and have noticed in the past few days that it often happens directly after inserting a Smiley or a link.

Another issue I have (as you'll probably notice in this post) is that every paragraph double spaces - again not shown in the dialogue box, so hard to override. Anyone else have this problem? I've noticed Samm's posts are double spaced lately too.

I've been a bit slack with this as I raised it with Terry and he suggested I put up a post asking who else has the same problem so that he can start his detective work. Well, here's the post  :-[

Don't know about everyone else, but all of these problems only started for me after the last Forum software upgrade, so I assuming it's something to do with that.

Have fun with that lot Terry  ;)

Newie

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »
I also have the 78% resizing issue Tim's talking about - and no, it doesn't show up in the dialogue box, so only way to delete it is to delete a few characters before it and take the resize code out with everything else. I've been trying to narrow down when it happens and have noticed in the past few days that it often happens directly after inserting a Smiley or a link.

Type some text then position the cursor in front of it. Hit enter a couple of times to move it down the page, then hit backspace to move it back up,[size=78%] instant 78% size.[/size]

[size=78%]Tim[/size]
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: posting on the forum problems.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Hi,

Well that was an interesting list of problems to figure out and glad you all saved them up but i think i have fixed most of them if not all.

Many come back to the use of the WYSIWYG Editor option and things seem to behave a lot better when I switched it off so I turned it off for everyone...I Think. If you are still having any issues as described earlier, go into to your profile and under Forum Settings-> Look and Layout make sure the 'Use WYSIWYG' is not ticked and if it is, un-tick it and try again.

The above was definitely the cause for the 'Double Spacing' between line paragraphs and and wasn't helping the FireFox dictionary issue. I couldn't recreate the 'Font and Size' BBC code issue but it is most likely the culprit there too.

FireFox users using the spell checker might find that you need to turn the spell checker on again so you can do that in Tools->Options or Right Click in the Post/Reply box and then select Check Spelling and re-try. There seems to be two issues, one with FireFox and one with SMF(the Forum Software) and if both planets are aligned it falls off, no fix in sight from either so you might need to remember the above.

Now I did find something handy in chasing down this problem and that is an Australian Dictionary, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/english-australian-dictionary/ , which you can install as an add-on to Foxy and then using the same right click as above, under Check Spelling is
Languages and then under that select the Aussie one. You do need to restart the browser after installing the add on before it will show up under Languages.

Right-Click for Pasting seems to work fine in Fox and Chrome and there was a post I read somewhere suggesting it wasn't working in FF 11.

Don't have Safari or an iSplat to see what is going on with the formatting of the Avatars so need pictures next time you see it happen but i couldn't see any options to tweak for that so i suspect it is html rendering related.

Almost a waste of a good few hours of my life but did learn stuff along the way. :)

Terry
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:32:49 PM by Terry »

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
How do I turn the spell checker on using IE?

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: posting on the forum problems.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

Almost a waste of a good few hours of my life but did learn stuff along the way. :)

Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you've helped make the lives of the Forum faithful just a little bit easier  :D

Newie