Author Topic: Sending A Personal Message (PM)  (Read 1997 times)

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Sending A Personal Message (PM)
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »
Personal Messages or PM's are like the forum's own internal email system. They can't be read or seen by anyone else and are the perfect way to send private messages or personal details like email addresses or phone numbers.

To Send a PM

There are a number of ways to do this. Often the simplest is to find a post by the person you want to contact, and click the PM button at the side of their post.

This method will take you straight to a new blank message, and the "To" box will be filled in for you.

Alternativley, you can click on "My Messages" under your login, and then on "Send a Message".

Here you will have to type the user name of the recipient - although you will be offered suggestions as you type.

Click on the name you want (or continue typing), enter a subject and fill in the message just like a post.

Preview your message if you like, and then hit the send button. You should be returned to your messages, with a green box saying your message has been sent successfully.

Sending a CC (Carbon Copy)

If you want to send the message to more than one person, then simply list the names separated by a comma (same as an email). Either enter the names in the box, or choose as they are suggested and they will be listed underneath.

Everyone will get a copy, and a list of all the other recipients.

Send a BCC (Blind Carbon Copy)

Not used as much - but can be handy. In this case, those in the first box get the message and the names of any others in that box.

Clicking the "Add BCC" will open a second box where you can add a second set of recipients. These names will not be revealed to people in the first box.

Replying to a PM

When you receive a PM, there will be a [1] beside the "My Messages" under your login. Click on that to read your message.

To reply, simply click the reply button at the top of your message.

Using the "Quote" button will add the contents of the original message as a quote to the top of your reply. Usually this is not necessary, but if you use it don't forget to add your reply underneath.

If the message has been sent to more than one person, you will have the option to reply to everyone.

By default the "Reply to All" option adds the message you are replying to as a quote. This is because in a three or four way conversation you may wonder who is replying to what!

Adding Photos

Photos can be added to PM's in the same way as a normal post. If you are using the forum gallery, simply select and copy the BB code into your message.

Other Tips

You will not be able to send or receive PM's unless you are a standard member. This is to protect existing members from unwanted PM's from spammers. Your first PM may also need verification - which is for the same reason and pretty straight forward.

If you wish, you can be immediately notified of a new PM by ticking the "Show a popup when I receive new messages." box in your profile. You can also keep a copy of your sent PM's automatically, by ticking the "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default.". There are a number of other options available in your profile, under  "Modify Profile" and "Personal Messaging".

It is a good idea to clean you inbox out occasionally, as well as your outbox if you are saving sent messages.

Any questions or problems, please just ask!
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

mokercar

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Wishin' and Hopin'

• Personal Text
    Found 'WILMA'
Re: Sending A Personal Message (PM)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:47 PM »
Hi Maddog, trust me to come up with a stupid question! Thankyou for  very informative instruction on posting messages. I do have a queerie about where do the sent messages go. I know I have sent messages to forumers but my sent box is empty and I would like to know how to find them as I'm not sure if I have replied to all the messages in my in box. I won't rabbit on any more...... you might chase me..... (joke.... Dog, Rabbit.......!!!!) Thanks cheers Sue.
Mid life crisis (if I live to 100) "Second Childhood"                                                          PUSH TO THE LIMIT!!!       "It's All in The Game"

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
G'day mokercar, 
                I've never got any pm's from you whats going on??? :)
if you look under the box that you type your message in, you will
find a box that says save to my outbox. you need to tick that other
wise they don't get saved and float away into space forever.

biggles

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »
G'day mokercar,
                  click on "profile" in the black line under the header picture
then click on "modify profile" and scroll down to "personal messaging"
then you'll see a line that says "save a copy of each pm in my sent items
by default" .. tick that box and then you don't have to worry about it.
It catches them before they disappear into outer space.

Biggles

mokercar

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Wishin' and Hopin'

• Personal Text
    Found 'WILMA'
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
Hi Biggles, Thanks for the info I'll give it my best shot and see how I get on....... How are you all down that way? Pitty you not coming to Tammy. Would have been good to see you Struth and 'The Rat' again. Take care. Cheers. Sue.
Mid life crisis (if I live to 100) "Second Childhood"                                                          PUSH TO THE LIMIT!!!       "It's All in The Game"