Author Topic: The NEW Moke Events Calendar  (Read 1156 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

The NEW Moke Events Calendar
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »
Hi,

I have set up a new Calendar feature for the Mokes Inc. Forum and you can access it via the menu at the top of the page, to the left of the Gallery option. This has come about from the the suggestion/feedback thread started last week looking for peoples input and ideas for improving the Forum.

It looks quite easy to use as it displays a month at a time and you have the option to add your own Moke events that become available for all to see, there is no approval process. You do need to be a standard member to add new events, this is to prevent spammers, and all events are visible to guests so if you want to see some new faces include some contact details like a mobile number so they can call you. You choice if you wish to display your email address, but this forum does get targeted by machine and human email harvesters for spamming purposes.

When you do create a new event you have the option to generate a New Post so people can click on your event in the Calendar and be directed to the post to read more details. By default it will create the post in this the Moke Events Calendar board, or you can select another board if you have a compelling reason to do so(maybe swap meets on the Trading post Board???), and you will still need to create a separate post in the Moke Events Chat board for ongoing discussions about the event.

The custodians have briefly discussed whether having two separate boards to keep the event announcements, only updated by the creator of the event, separate from the general chat about the event is a still a good idea or not so for the time being we are going to keep it this way but interested to hear how others feel.

The default options for the Calendar shows up everyone's birthdays, that has been turned off :), and the Calendar was full of American Public Holidays so I deleted them and a few others and will be looking to restock it with local public holidays and anniversaries to help people plan their Moke events around. If anyone wants to let me know the relevant dates for their state or country it will save me a lot of time going looking. It is an Admin only function and I can't see anyway to make it available to the masses to update.

On the Home page there is a rather obscure box area that gets displayed containing upcoming events in the next 60 days and I have not seen anyway to move it or make it more prominent at this stage. And it would be nice if the dates listed in the Calendars on the left side of the main page were clickable, or at least highlighted, if there is an event on for that date, but the choices are all or nothing so I chose nothing to avoid the confusion of clicking through to empty dates. 

So add your events and let everyone know and if you have any questions just ask away in this thread.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:00:45 PM by Terry »

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: The NEW Moke Events Calendar
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »
I just loaded the Round Up into the calender, but noticed that it didn't appear on the Upcoming Events bar under the Recent Posts. In going back to check it was on the calender properly, I noticed IMD has already been loaded in but didn't appear either.

Was just pondering whether or not it might only display events coming up in X number of days when I refreshed it and IMD was there  :o. Then noticed that the time was 12.01, which kind of confirmed my theory  :)

So apparently it's set at 60 days. Any way we can extend the default to 90 days Terry? Partly so that the Round Up will show up ASAP  ;) , and partly because the more events shown on that bar, the more obvious it is. I don't think 90 days would be too long and we'd rarely have more than 4 or 5 events showing up in that period, so not too messy I don't think.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
Hi Terry,
I have had a play with your new "Callender" and also see some others have now added events :) .
I tried to add a link but wasnt able too and see that your post on it is linked.
How can we do that as well?
Cheers
Tony

There is a two part process to adding an event to the Calendar and a the post to the Events Board. You enter the details for the item to appear on the Calendar and make sure you have the box 'ticked' for "Link Event to Post". When you click on the 'POST' button you will then get an extra Subject line and Text box pop up for you to fill in the details for the post that goes into the Events board. Fill in the details and then you press the 'POST' button again.

In testing it tonight I saw it also pops up a message about the event will not appear until Approved by a moderator, which I don't see any options to change, but it also doesn't really notify any of the moderators that there is an event waiting to be approved either :(  Once the event is approved then it appears as a New post and people who use 'Unread Posts' should then see it on their list.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:11:25 PM by Terry »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
I just loaded the Round Up into the calender, but noticed that it didn't appear on the Upcoming Events bar under the Recent Posts. In going back to check it was on the calender properly, I noticed IMD has already been loaded in but didn't appear either.

Was just pondering whether or not it might only display events coming up in X number of days when I refreshed it and IMD was there  :o. Then noticed that the time was 12.01, which kind of confirmed my theory  :)

So apparently it's set at 60 days. Any way we can extend the default to 90 days Terry? Partly so that the Round Up will show up ASAP  ;) , and partly because the more events shown on that bar, the more obvious it is. I don't think 90 days would be too long and we'd rarely have more than 4 or 5 events showing up in that period, so not too messy I don't think.

Newie

I did increase it to 60 days but I will now make it 90 days to include Tamworth and maybe 400 days to include Mokefest 2013. :)

Terry