Author Topic: Cape York 2012 - A Long Way To The Top  (Read 18292 times)

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
Cape York 2012 - A Long Way To The Top
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Hi everyone

Here we go - today is Thursday October 4, 2012 and both spider and Halfpint have reached the city limits in Adelaide.  They are currently shopping and settling in before heading over to sa mokin's place to sort out his ride.  Depending on how long that takes will determine whether we are heading out at first light tomorrow or hanging around Friday to complete what we couldn't tonight.

Will update tonight to let you know where we are up to - the new Mokes made it over without any serious issues but I did hear spider has been kissing kangaroos with his new Moke! 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:10:17 PM by sa mokin »

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
Re: Cape York 2012 - A Long Way To The Top
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
End of Day 1 (Day 3 for spider and Halfpint)

The guys reached my place in the afternoon and promptly got stuck into sorting out CYM.

It didn't take long for spider to identify that sa mokin's brake issues started having the front callipers on the wrong way (left on right and right on left) - the wrong nut on the lower brake switch which was then cause of the sealing issue - the proportioning value mounted incorrectly causing it to stop fluid to the rear brakes - when HP sorted that list we were bleeding and now I have brakes!   ::)  ;D

They then turned their hands to my wiring worries but we ran out of time and called it a night.  The good news is that we will be on the road tomorrow albeit it at an 80km per hour maximum while I run in my motor for the day.  The cars have been running nicely ( and look fantastic! ) - and now that they are sitting in MY driveway it well and truly feels like I am about to go on that trip I have been dreaming about!

Mick you are welcome to stop by tomorrow before 11am to say G'day and check out the Mokes while we plan on swinging by Pete's place on the way out and hopefully meet Mavro for dinner at Pt Augusta tomorrow evening.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:42:02 PM by sa mokin »

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
Hi all,

Well, the trip proper hasn't yet got underway, but it feels like we've had an adventure already just getting to Adelaide.

I did have the first breakdown, yes. On my way to Wagga, the throttle return spring broke (a new one too  :(), anyway 10 minutes later (after waiting for the exhaust to cool enough to get my hand down there to remove the spring and bend it again, back on and under way. Got in to Wagga about 7:00 PM (after leaving at about 1:30 PM). Met up with HP and we slept under the tarp  :D

We left Wagga next morning, a bit late and headed for Mildura. About 2 hours out of Wagga, I did hit a Kangaroo, a grey. He did come off second best, I only suffered a bent number plate and some blood on the windscreen. Lucky, very Lucky. Stopped at Hay for lunch and an after engine run-in Oil and filter change, then we were able to sit on 100 kph. Got in to Mildura about 7:30 nd there was NO accomodation anywhere. So looking forwrd to a shower! Nothing much for it but to leave, drove a little in to Sunset Country and made camp under the stars around 10 PM.

Left our camp shortly before 6 this morning and in to the bright lights of Adelaide, along with the heat, roadwork and traffic. I think it took us 2 - 3 hrs to get to Minisport where we stocked up on some spares that we didn't already have, then off to SA's where we spent the afternoon.

I'll get some pics up soon (I hope!)
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:52 AM »
Yep its been an adventure already thats for sure.
With less than 12ks on the clock I packed up and headed out of Dodge!

Running in the engine kept me between 60 and 80 klms/hr for the first 50 or so k's, but soon things were humming and could vary the speed between 70 and 85/90 all the way to Wagga to meet up with Spider.
Once there grabbed some much needed supplies and then setup camp. Some might recognize this place ;)

Very soon I was set up and was able to sit still for more than 5 mins 8).

Spider arrived soon after and we pitched the tarp over his Moke as well, and finished setting up camp.
In the morning we packed and headed off.

A lake not far from Mildura was nice to stop and and have a stretch.

Like spider said, no accomodation at Mildura, so after a bush camp in the scrub, it was a 6am start on the road to Adelaide.

Was good to meet the guys we speak to on the phone.
Also great to finally meet SA and his family here 8)

Now just one more Moke and Driver to add to the convoy and away we all go ;D

These pics are off my phone, hopefully Ill down load the camera when we arent working on our cars, and see what shots I've got there.
Cheers everyone,
Tired Halfpint.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:37:41 AM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 02:17:35 PM »
Wow, so many pics and trip details already  :)

Just so that everyone knows, at the request of the participants, the Cape York Trip board (which includes this thread) has been locked to everyone but those directlly invloved in the trip up until now.

From today though, it has been opened to everyone on the forum to reply on and contribute to if they wish.

Newie

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Gee whiz those vehicles look so professionally built, can,t see you lads having too many problems besides teething onesHope you are on your way soon and i already feel i am travelling with you   Good luck Fellas
                  Cheers
                      Smokey

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »
If you guys want to stop at my place for dinner let me know??  :D :D :o
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

HAG

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    No, no, no, yes
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »

Have a great trip guys...... 8)

And remember..... it didn't happen if there's no pics
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:37:04 PM by HAG »
If it has Tit's or Tires....It'll take  your money!

ONLY A MOKER UNDERSTANDS WHY DOGS LIKE TO STICK THEIR HEADS OUT OF CAR WINDOWS

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
Ok .... Today we had a great day ..... But we are still in Adelaide.

It seems that sa mokin is the king of "back to front" assembly including back to front wiring, back to front gear selector bottom (so I couldn't select 1st or 2nd gear), even the headlight wires plugged in back to front!  I think I challenged the guys but by the evening I took CYM for its first run around the neighbourhood - all good.

Some loose ends and packing in the morning and we are away!

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Mickthemokefull

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
What time S.A.

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:08:41 PM »
We will be leaving Marion at 9am Mick - HP wanted to say G'day and check out your wheels!

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
I am so proud of you.
WELL done buddy
And the other gents too of course.

Can't wait to meet up b

Well done

Mickthemokefull

• Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
As in leaving your place at 9am or the shopping center at 9am...... As Mav said "BLOODY FANTASIC JOB BOYS"........or words to that effect.....I will be there and promise not to cough on anyone.

I can't miss this !!!

Sicky Tough Micky

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
Mick, we are at SA's and likely be leaving here about 9-ish. Come early mate:)

So looking forward to getting on the road - with our back-to-front leader. I think he was saying something like doing the trip in Reverse gear the whole way!

Sorry peoples, I have some pics, but I'm on a new PC and I can't remember my photobucket login!

I'll up-date to the forum when I get some more time.

Thanks for the offer Pete, but I didn't think you wanted up banging on your door at 11PM for dinner!

Thanks for your nice comment Smokie! Let hope for the best mate  :)
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Mickthemokefull

• Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
Just letting every one know THE CAPE YOKE CRUSADERS have left the Building shed at about 10 am.

Let the good times roll boys....  8) 8) ;D :o

Great to meet HP, was ok? to catch up with Spider the moocher   :-* and happy to see S.A. at the end of his rebuild (with a bit of sorting out on the way  ;))

I only drove about 20 kms with them before my turn off but I can tell you these boys are turning heads when on the road - pretty sure won't happen when they step out of the vehicles  :o ;D ;D

They truly are a great bunch of guys and if anyone has the chance to meet up with the boys, make the effort and you will have a great laugh and chat.

I know, I know, pictures but Spider has probably the best pictures that he WILL upload tonight.

Man I wish I was going with them  :'(

Safe trip boys and lots of updates and PHOTOS please  ;)

Mopeing Mick