Author Topic: Cape York 2012 - A Long Way To The Top  (Read 18278 times)

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Re: Cape York 2012 - A Long Way To The Top
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
or on Mokes Australia facebook page ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and my 1100 friends

mavro

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
If you look at the trees, especially those in front on bends you do get some idea.

It was SO steep in there, I thought we were going to need a ladder!

I do remember going back to 1st gear on one of them after getting a sizable run up!

I remember doing that road for the first time many years ago (80's). We had done the rest of our trip in a mate's VK Commodore, but he didn't want to take it up there so we hired a Suzuki 4wd in Cairns  for the run to Cooktown. Neither of us had done much 4wding at the time and just assumed it would go anywhere. There were several hills that had us slipping around a bit, but I do remember one in particular where we had 4 attempts and were seriously starting to doubt that we'd get up it. It was bone dry and this was on the main road  :o. We needed a sizable run up even in 4wd as the Suzuki, much like a Moke, was very light and just kept slipping on the loose gravel. I had not long come off my P Plates (19 years old) so was of course an expert driver, which made it very hard to understand at the time  ::) ;D

Newie

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:03 PM »
I went through there as a passenger in a mini bus towing a trailer several years ago. The driver was amazing, he was getting the whole rig sideways and bringing it back. I distinctly remember some of the locals from Wujal Wujal screaming as he stopped on a steep hill then started rolling back down to show us the view. The driver was a former tour guide, he had a tight schedule so had to go like the clappers so he could stop the bus and take us tourists to see waterfalls and catch snakes etc.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.