Author Topic: Mellow Yellow's Minibeast - maintenance and makeover  (Read 9167 times)

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Mellow Yellow's Minibeast - maintenance and makeover
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Okay, it's time I started a thread on the changes and improvements to the Minibeast. How did I come to name my cute little yellow moke the Minibeast?? Mainly because I refer to my regular vehicle, a 4x4 ute as "The big green beast"...so it followed that the moke was the Minibeast.

I have had the moke for almost 18 months now. Purchased it as a going concern with the view to drving it regularly to work, and weekend day trips. Little did I know that it would get to Tamworth and back quite happily, (well almost). When the starter motor problem resurfaced the other week, the old one was not able to be resurected. So with new one installed we were on the road again. If the 4 73 stamped on the old one refers to April '73, then I am guessing it was a recondition unit. Older than the moke.  :o

So today, I finally got around to adjusting the idling so I don't have to feather the accelerator at lights any more. Job done. I have come to the conclusion over the last year or so that while the moke has been "restored", much of it was cosmetic. The engine bay has been painted.. but all the grommets are yellow too. Obviously not a complete rebuild.

So major job number 1..overhaul the front springy bits.  :)  Stay tuned as the front suspension is replaced with hi los and unchewed bump stops (and other stuff as required).

Now to do some parts ordering  ;)
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Mellow Yellow's Minibeast - maintenance and makeover
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
Did some cosmetic adjustments today. I tore off a mud flap on the Tamworth trip so I made some new ones. I had some thick rubber lying about so I used that. Not al that pretty but effective.

I also took ot the back seat and seat belts, and put in some new rubber flooring. I have been looking to more secure storage options, so as I had a spare container, thought I would give it a try. Should keep stuff dry, and out of sight.

I still have to trim up the rubber yet, but you gat the idea.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Moke2b

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    3 Mokes were too many...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
Hi miss Yellow, was wondering have you secured the container down or can it be easily removed?
80 Californian Moke project

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »
That does look a nice size box. Is it weather proof do you think and can it be locked?  where did you pick it up?
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Moke2b, the box isn't secured at the moment, so can just lift it out. I was thinking of 2 options. One is to use the seat belt bolt holes and bolts and attach through the floor of the box. Second option is to use a plastic coated chain and lock around the side handles and the roll bar. There are 2 positions near each side handle for fitting padlocks. Being plastic though, it will only keep honest people out.  ;)

Spider, you can pick them up at Bunnings. The lid fits quite securely, so should keep out rain. Some dust may get in, but I could probably add some weather strip.

It's a bit of an experiment at the moment, as I have to see how the esky fits in as well for travelling. Box may need to be turned sideways. I have been looking for metal boxes for a while, but thought I would give a try with what I had.

Mmm... all I need now is a zippered rear window for easier access.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Ozimoke

• Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
Hey Spider, I picked up  a stanley branded plastic box from bunnies the other day. For 120, usually 199 I think. Clear out sale. Reasonably made, but I liked the o ring seal under the lid. Should be pretty water and dust proof.
Cheers, O M
I spend much of my pay on old tractors and the Moke, I tend to waste the rest

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
Mellowyellow, Faye and I have used a storage bin in the back of our Moke for the past few years. It allows us to lock (am sure someone could get in if they really wanted to) our computers and camera out of sight whilst travelling. It is bolted down. I am considering re-positioning it to behind the seats when I re-make the roll bar as the current location limits packing options for mainland trips.

I also am interested in other options.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
I decided to keep my moke improvements in the one thread, so I know where I put them.
Well it's rego time again, so I brought the Minibeast home from its holiday from the work car park on friday. So it rained didn't it.  :(  Apart from drying everything out again today, I was checking things over for the rego inspection on Monday. All seemed okay, lights horns, brakes etc until I was checking the windscreen washer. Worked for a few squirts, then stopped. Topped up the bottle, and still nothing, not even making a noise. A quick inspection shows some water leaking, so did a fresh cut and reconnect with the tubing. Still no go. Cleaned up the connections but still no go. I've seen some chat on the forum where replacement bottles have been found, but the original motor was still working. Any ideas where I might find the whole bottle and motor?

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
G'day Mell,
            Super cheap, auto barn etc sell a generic washer
bottle kit that will do the job. Nearly identical and will go
in the same spot for around the 20 dollar mark.

Biggles

ADR

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Never let momentum determine your fate
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Minibeast...so wish I'd thought of that great name for mine :D
Basil - 1979 Cali 1100 sport
Rory - 1971 Cooper S Rally Replica 1310

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »
Have you got a test light Mellow? Might pay to check that you are getting power to the motor before replacing it. Might be as simple as a blown fuse or loose connection further up the line somewhere.

Newie

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
Hi Mellow,

If your washer bottle is original and still holds water, you can get a pump that is an exact match for the old one and snaps into the same bracket. Even the wires are the same! :o

About $10 from the same places Biggles mentioned.

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
Thnaks Biggles and Maddog, I'll hit the shops in the morning.
The motor seems a bit corroded and is has lots of silicon type stuff that seems to be holding it onto the bottle...or it could be sealing some holes.
Newie, I don't have a test lamp. It seemed to stop working suddenly. The moke only has 4 fuses, and all checked out okay. After the light switch episode the other week, checking of the wiring is another job to put on the list for when the moke comes back home to its own garage.

ADR, thanks for the nice comments on the name.  :)

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

ADR

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Never let momentum determine your fate
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
Mel - I'm in Beacon Hill, 5 mins up the road from warringah mall and supercheap if you want to swing past and put a test lamp/multimeter on it?
Basil - 1979 Cali 1100 sport
Rory - 1971 Cooper S Rally Replica 1310